The city of Neòpolis is situated in the State of Sergipe, in Brazil and it can be numbered among the cities that in the course of the centuries have more times changed denomination. The first name given to it was that one of Saint Antonio of Vila Nova, October 18 of 1679, day of its foundation. Its territory was donated to Antonio de Britto Castro, for the king of the Portugal, with commitment to start the urbanization. In the 1683 the city already counted 200 inhabitants, but 29 November of the same year a governmental inspection found that all the engagements had not been maintained and many things turned out unfinished, the houses were fragile and with roofs covered from palms, for which the citizen Francisco was reduced to village with the denomination of Vila Real of San Francesco, from the homonym river that laps. In 1733 it was elevated to category of city with the name of Vila nova of the King and in 1817 it comes annexed to the territory of Saint Antonio of Urubu de Baxio, today Proprià. In March 1835 was assigned with provincial Law the category of district with the name of Vila Nova of the Saint River. In 1857, the district was transferred to Proprià, but on 23 November of 1910 the town was elevated to the rank of city by Law n. 583 with the name of Vila Nova, in order then to be, finally, on April 30 1940, definitively called Neòpolis. It is about 150 km from Aracaju, the capital of the State of Sergipe, and organizes a its carnival, during which the “Frevo”, with its march it invades the roads of Neapòlis. Situated on the Saint Francisco’ river, has a wonderful panorama.
Freely translated from: http://www.infonet.com.br/cinformmunicipios/municipio_neopolis.htm